Monday, March 3, 2008

文教大学の学生

The visit by the Bunkyou University students today was definitely interesting. Momoko and Ayumi were uber friendly, and very understanding of lapses in our linguistic skills ! They handed out Japanese snacks as greeting gifts - the paper-wrapped mochi cake was awesome - and Ayumi even gave me a 50-yen coin, which I was slightly obsessed with (it has a hole in the middle, rather like the Chinese tong qian of old). The interaction highlighted a rather embarrassing fact though: I don't actually know how the proper way to introduce myself in Japanese (?!!). Does one give one's full name - first + last - or simply one or the other of the two (but surely I can't go around referring to myself as "Ho-san") .... And how do I address other people, if they simply give me their first names ? Is it polite, or even socially acceptable ?

Anyways. I hope we didn't blow anyone's conceptions of the Ivy League !!

1 comment:

yukki said...

会話(かいわ、conversation)は、楽しかったですか。よかったです。

じこしょうかいのしかたは、去年れんしゅうしましたよ! In addition, we talked about how to address others... クラスメートにきいてください。If they don't know either, クラスでれんしゅうしなければなりません!